Search the archives room
600 years of History written by the same family
The Pitray and their ancestors have gone through history since the one hundred year war.
Since then, wine making has always been part of the life of this property that devotes to it most of its efforts today.
Today, Jean de Boigne, grandson of the Vicomte de Pitray, runs the property.
Here are some dates of the oldest family property of Bordeaux.
Neolithic Dolmen on Pitray
1466 Jehan de Las Symas, says Simard, bought a parcel of vineyard from his neighbor at Saint-Emilion (first mention of the name of Simard).
15th century Construction of the feudal manor of Pitray
1515-1571 Marguerite de Pellegrue 1st Lady of Pitray marries Bertrand de Ségur.
1559 John of Yversen was sent by King Henry III as ambassador to the Sultan Soliman the Magnificent.
1715 Françoise de Ségur, inheritor of Pitray, marries Elias of Simard alderman of St. Emilion. Start branch Simard de Pitray.
1778 Palamède de Suffren, ancestor of the Boigne, embarked on the "Fantastic" commanded by his uncle Bailli de Suffren and participated in the American War of Independence.
1783 Pierre de Pitray, who also fought in America, is a founding member of the Cincinnati.
1778-1796 Benoît de Boigne s'embarque pour l'Inde. Embauché par le Maharadja Scindia contre les anglais, il devient commandant en chef des Mahrattes.
1799 Jean-Francois de S. de P embarks for America with all his family to escape the Terror. They returned to Pitray in 1802.
1838 The town of Chambéry raises the "Fountain of the Elephants" in recognition of its benefactor General de Boigne.
1854 Emile Vincent de Pitray marries Olga, daughter of the Countess of Segur, famous author of books for youth.
1868-70 The Gal of Simard de Pitray has rebuilt the castle of Pitray by Blaquière, architect of Bordeaux. The park is designed by Fischer and planted by Escarpit.
1883-1886 Louis-Antoine de Simard de Pitray founded the castle of Pitray in Oran (El Hassi).
1900 Tennis at Pitray
1940-41 The Countess of Pitray protects the castle of Pitray from the German occupation by ruse.
1945 Louis de S. de Pitray succeeded in bringing his ship La Trombe back to Toulon after being torpedoed.
1965-1980 Louis de S. de P modernized the vineyard and opened new markets in the USA and Great Britain.
1991 Alix de Pitray and her husband P.E. de Boigne buy the first barrels to raise the Pitray.
2003 Jean de Boigne, grandson of Louis de S. de Pitray develops export to new markets.
2016 Complete rehabilitation of the roofs (cellars and castle) following the hailstorm of 2013.